A possible change to nine-man football was discussed during the Kingsland School Board meeting on January 17, with all members present (Doug Plaehn, Ann Oeltjen, Leah Stier, Jackie Horsman, Tiffany Mundfrom, Heather Betts, and Interim Superintendent James Hecimovich). Mundfrom asked what would happen if the team made the playoffs, and it was explained that the team would then need to switch to an 11-player format.
Staff shared data that showed Kingsland is currently the smallest school in 1A, but would be among the larger schools playing nine-man football. It was also pointed out that there would still be plenty of area schools to play against. Plaehn pointed out that the board’s decision is whether or not to pursue playing nine-man football, but the final decision will be up to the Minnesota High School League. The board voted to pursue changing to nine-man football for the 2018-19 school year. Kingsland plans to continue having a varsity, B-squad, and junior high football team following this change.
The board approved the consent agenda items, including the resignation of Mari Blanchard (special education paraprofessional), and lane changes for Tara Holmen, Ben Hansen, Amanda Lorentz, Baily Mahowald, Erin Milz, Kelly Opseth, Angela Forland, Tonia Gardner, Kayli Hareldson, and Rachael Burt. No members of the public had signed up to address the board.
Hecimovich gave public thanks to donors, including Land O’Lakes Foundation for donating $2,000 as part of the Dollars for Doers program recognizing 100 volunteer hours for Gerald Stockdale, Dale Wondrasch, Nevin Stender, and Pauline Lentz; Valley Lanes for donation of $1,540 to be used for grades K-4 supply budgets; WalMart Stores for donation of $750 to the Media Center for the MakerSpaces Program; Osterud-Winter Scholarship donation of $15,500; Julee Warren for taking on the head coach responsibilities for community education youth basketball; and Knights of Columbus St. Ignatius Council #13609 for a $250 donation to the art department.
High school student Audrey Farlinger gave the board an update on student council happenings, including the council looking into selling school pride clothing for grades 7-12. She also said the recent Sadie Hawkins dance was a success, with 80 students attending, and the event helped fund the upcoming Snow Week events. She also thanked the chaperones for the dance.
Seventh grade student Josh Meskill updated the board on the Builders Club, which he explained is an organization for seventh and eighth grade students. He highlighted some of their events so far this school year, including ditch clean-up, the community Halloween party (which raised money for UNICEF), and bell-ringing which helped raise funds to buy presents for needy children. He also said the group will be making blankets to give to the Fillmore County Sheriff department.
The board voted to approve the 2018 Senior Class Trip proposal, which had previously been presented by Ms. Hardecopf, students, and Mr. Hecimovich. The board also approved the SMEC audit as presented, and a student interest survey regarding gymnastics.
The board approved the “Resolution Directing the Administration to Make Recommendations for Reductions in Programs and Positions and Reasons Therefore.” Hecimovich explained that, “I’d just like to add, because this will be broadcasted on our website, that this is an annual precautionary thing that has to be done… not saying that we are making cuts, it’s just that we have to have a resolution on the table, approved, so if we get to that point we can go ahead and do it.”
The meeting adjourned about 6:50 p.m. The board will have a work session meeting on February 5 at 6 p.m. in the elementary conference room. The next regular board meeting will be Wednesday, February 21, at 6:30 p.m. in the choir room. As always, the public is welcome.