We provide birth to age five learning opportunities at no cost to qualifying families. Semcac Head Start participates in the Parent Aware Child Care rating system for licensed providers, and consistently achieves a 4-Star High Quality Program rating. This year, our program ranked among the top 10% of Head Start classrooms across the nation for demonstrating effective teaching practices!
Early Head Start for birth to 3-year-olds
We offer a home-based option in Fillmore County to eligible families expecting a baby and/or with children birth to three years. A trained educator meets with enrolled families weekly with a focus on parent-child activities, child development, and family well-being. Home visits are paired with social events for parents and children twice per month. Socials are an opportunity for parents to get to know each other, as well as provide an environment for the children to practice their newly developing social skills.
Head Start for 3 to 5 year olds
Our Preston Center offers services to children beginning at age three, and until they are eligible for kindergarten, in a preschool classroom setting. The classroom operates eight hours per day, Monday through Thursday during the school year, inside of our own room at Fillmore Central Elementary. Our highly qualified teaching staff fosters children’s confidence, creativity, critical thinking skills, and love of learning through our child-centered curriculum: The Creative Curriculum for Preschool. The Creative Curriculum incorporates the latest research and best practices, while taking the needs of every type of learner into account. Transportation is available through the school district for most families. If you’d like to tour the Preston classroom, you may call (507) 765-9953, and our teaching staff will be happy to assist you.
What makes Early Head Start and Head Start unique?
For over 50 years, Semcac Head Start has partnered with parents to support their role as the first and most important teachers of their children. We do so by engaging with families to support their learning goals for their children, and inviting them to participate in making decisions about our program, among other opportunities.
• Our staff is trained to provide education that best supports each child’s individual growth and development, including special needs and English language learners.
• We support healthy parent-child relationships and offer opportunities to build parenting skills that will strengthen families.
• Comprehensive services including medical, dental, nutrition, and behavioral supports are offered to support the well-being of each child. We promote healthy living for the whole family.
• We help parents connect to community resources that can help them reach their goals and strengthen the well-being of their entire family.
• Family members are encouraged to volunteer. Parents have the opportunity to advocate for their children and families. Parent leaders have a voice in key decisions that guide our program.
Ready to apply?
All interested families are encouraged to apply. Our focus is to serve families with limited income based on federal guidelines. Families receiving MFIP, foster children and homeless children are automatically eligible.
Contact Lynn at Semcac’s Preston Contact Center by calling (507) 765-9953. The Contact Center is located at 702 Chatfield St. Lynn meets with each family to determine eligibility and keep the process simple. She will let you know what family documents to bring.
Head Start Works! Let’s work together to nurture your child’s love of learning and well-being! Check out our website at www.semcac.org for more information.